Sweet and tangy BBQ sauce clinging to thick, meaty strips of seitan combined with a rich and creamy southern-style coleslaw.
That’s it. That’s all I have to say.
Here’s a topless shot… I’ll let the coleslaw speak for itself.
Served with a side of the coleslaw and some salt n’ vinegar potato chips, this was a wonderful Saturday afternoon lunch, enjoyed on the deck in the springtime sun! Sure you could make this on regular-sized buns or even on bread, but the little slider buns just make it more fun, don’t you think?
BBQ Seitan Sliders (Makes 5 sliders)
- 1 loaf of Homemade Seitan
- 1/2 cup+ of your favorite BBQ sauce (a little more or less, depending on how saucy you’re feeling today!)
- 5 soft slider buns
- 1/2 batch Creamy Southern-Style Coleslaw (recipe below) (Will give you enough to top the 5 sliders, plus enough for 2 side servings)
- Slice up the seitan until it’s in thin little bits. I slice mine in half (through the middle) lengthwise, then make very thin slices.
- Mix with BBQ sauce and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to let it marinate (I left mine in for about 4 hours, or you could do overnight).
- Layer: Bun, seitan, coleslaw, bun… and that’s it!
Creamy Southern-Style Coleslaw (serves 6)
Adapted from this non-vegan recipe.
- 1 1/3 cups vegenaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 t sea salt (more to taste)
- 1 medium green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 small sweet onion, minced
- Black pepper
- Combine vegenaise, vinegar, sugar and salt in a small bowl, mixing well.
- In a larger bowl combine the vegetables, then pour the dressing over them. Stir until everything is nicely coated.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour, then taste and add S&P as desired.