These were simple to make, delicious, and as an added bonus were very cheap to make. My favorite part? The smokey heat provided by the chipotle peppers and adobo sauce was the perfect accompaniment to the crisp lettuce and creamy sour cream. Yum. The recipe below is enough for 3 burritos… I actually made two and took the rest to work with me for lunch.
Spicy Rice & Bean Burritos (Makes 3 burritos )
Recipe adapted from A Bitchin’ Kitchen Recipe (non-vegan)
- 1 T EVOO
- 1 t minced garlic
- 1 t chili powder (I used a NM blend)
- 1-2 peppers from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced (depending on taste- I used 1.5)
- 1.5 t adobo sauce from can
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 can red kidney beans
- 1/2 can black beans
- 1 handful of Daiya cheese (I used cheddar)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 3 large burrito tortillas
- Shredded lettuce
- 2-3 T vegan sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium, heat the oil and add the garlic, chili powder, chipotles, adobo sauce, cumin, water and beans for 5-6 minutes until everything is warm and the water is gone.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, rice and salsa.
- Divide the mixture evenly down the center of each tortilla, then top with lettuce and sour cream. Roll them up good and tight, you don’t want any goodness escaping!