I know a lot of vegans try to avoid processed foods – and I do too, mostly – but sometimes you get a craving and I find it’s easier to just give into it. I mean, I’m going to give in eventually, so why waste all that time fighting it?
I’m kidding of course (mostly), but when I start to crave faux meat products, I’m more than happy to trot on down to the store and grab a box of Gardein. Sometimes I’ll make a Spicy Chik’n Sandwich (those are truly a favorite of mine!), and sometimes I’m craving some ‘shrooms… And that’s where these come into play.
I even included a lower calorie version, served on lettuce instead of a bun!
I wrapped mine up in the lettuce but if you’re the
dainty neat type you could also go with a knife and fork.
Did you see all those mushrooms and onions? SO GOOD! I sauteed them in veggie broth, and the Gardein filets were cooked with just the tiniest bit of nonstick cooking spray. I’m looking out for my waistline… and yours too
Vegan Chicken Sandwich with Sauteed Mushrooms (Makes 2 sandwiches)
Note: if you want to cut out some calories and/or carbs, switch out the buns below with extra lettuce!
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms (I used white button, but your favorite ‘shroom will be good too!)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 Gardein chick’n filets
- 2 buns, toasted or otherwise warmed
- 2 T vegenaise
- Lettuce for garnish
- Heat the veggie broth over medium heat. When it starts to boil add diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and S&P, then cook for another 2-3 minutes, adding more broth if needed.
- Heat another pan over medium and spray with non-stick spray, then add the filets. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they start to crisp/brown a little bit.
- Smear the buns with veganaise and add the lettuce and filets, then top with the mushroom mixture.