Pasta with a spicy habanero and cashew cream sauce? With tons of fresh veggies? Hells yah! This is exactly the kind of pasta dish I love – more veggies than actual pasta, and with a really flavorful sauce.
I was inspired by a favorite recipe from Heather Crosby of Yum Universe. I made her recipe while reviewing The China Study Allstars cookbook and YumUniverse without realizing until afterward that I had chosen the same recipe twice. Pretty funny really.
Had a great weekend too, with not much time for cooking. Got to catch up with my ol’ roomie and some other peeps from San Diego- people I hadn’t seen in almost 10 years!
Tawnia is the redhead standing next to me. I rented a room in her condo for about a year (?) while I was in grad school. She lived next door to my uncle and nana and knew them to say hi to over the fence. I was looking for a place and she had mentioned to my uncle that her old roommate had moved out, and the rest is history. She and her friend Jen (in black) flew in from Austin. Vivianna and Neeko (in the front) she knew from Austin, although they live in Boulder now. And the other two awesome faces belong to Johnny and Karla who were friends of hers that I knew in SD, but they live in Denver now, like 15 minutes away from me. Small world!
We hiked to Diamond Lake, which is about an hour outside of Boulder. It was a fantastic hike! There was a ton of water along the way, waterfalls and creeks galore.
When we finally got to the lake (right around tree line) I couldn’t wait to dip my toes in, even though the water was coooold!
This coming weekend promises to be less fun, but more productive. Guess who’s planning to bust out all that ugly green backsplash in her kitchen! ME!
- 3 cups whole wheat pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- S&P to taste
- 1 1/2 cups raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 1 large habanero, sliced, seeds and ribs removed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Cook the pasta to package instructions.
- Blend sauce ingredients until completely smooth, adding more milk if necessary. Set aside.
- Water saute the veggies just until soft, 5-10 minutes. Make sure all the water is gone.
- Combine the pasta, sauce and veggies over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Taste and add S&P.
- It's best if you can soak your cashews for at least an hour. If you can't, you'll need to add a bit more milk to the sauce.