Delicious Beans, Grains, and One-Pot Meals in Minutes? Yes please!
I ❤ JL (as do most people – I’m just lucky enough to be friendsies with her IRL) and was so excited when she first announced her cookbook deal. How excited? Well I ran right out and bought a pressure cooker just so I could be on her recipe testing team!
I was a bit nervous, I’ll admit. I had never used a PC before and had only heard the horror stories circa 1970’s. Today’s pressure cookers are much better and totally safe of course… but I was also nervous because this was a totally new way of cooking for me. What do you mean I can cook beans from scratch in minutes? And everything in one pot? And I don’t need to leave it running all day like the crock pot? I was suspicious but it turns out that it was all true! I made so many quick and delicious meals, it was amazing. If you’re a fan of cooking from scratch or of bulk cooking, this is the tool for you!
And this gorgeous cookbook! So many delicious recipes. I’m sharing the recipe for Chik’n Lentil Noodle Soup (pictured above), and of course giving away a copy of the book itself. You can also pick up a copy here, in case you aren’t the lucky winner. Soups, chilis, casseroles, even a recipe for seitan… there’s something for everyone!
One lucky reader will win a copy of Vegan Pressure Cooking: Delicious Beans, Grains, and One-Pot Meals in Minutes by JL Fields! To enter, leave a comment below sharing what you think about bulk cooking at the beginning of the week. Do you love it? What’s your favorite thing to make? You can also score extra entry points with some fun Twitter options. Contest ends March 15th at midnight (mountain time). One winner will be chosen at random and announced the following day. Be sure and log your comment into the Rafflecopter to make it count! Open to residents of US and Canada only, good luck!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups (200 g) green beans (fresh or frozen), snapped into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup (130 g) chopped carrots
- 1 cup (120 g) chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons vegan chicken flavored seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 cup (200 g) dried brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces (112 g) soba noodles
- 4 cups (940 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 to 1 1⁄2 cups (235 to 355 ml) water
- In an uncovered pressure cooker, heat the oil on medium-high. Add the garlic, onions, green beans, carrots, and celery and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken-flavored seasoning, bay leaf, and sage and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the lentils, noodles, and vegetable both. Stir to combine. Cover and to bring to pressure. Cook at high pressure for 8 minutes. Use a quick release. Sample both the lentils and the noodles. If they are not cooked through, simmer on low in the uncovered pressure cooker until done. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- You can find vegan chicken-style seasoning or Bouillon cubes at most grocery stores.
- To deepen the flavor further, use vegan chicken broth instead of vegetable broth.