It’s nearly impossible for me to look at these pictures without swearing. As in “Holy F*&%ing Gawd I want these right now!” It’s also damn hard not to do a gloaty little dance and brag about how we vegans can still enjoy all the same foods, only better and more compassionate! I mean, doesn’t this Vegan Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich prove that??
Not only insanely stuff-your-face-worthy, they’re pretty easy to make too. Especially if you’re like me and keep a couple loaves of delicious homemade seitan in the freezer at all times! Then all you have to do is saute some peppers and onions, whip up a delicious Daiya cheese sauce, and dinner is served!
Or lunch. Like I said, these are easy and aren’t going to take up much time. They’ll taste like they did though! All that flavorful seitan, veggies, just a hint of heat… smothered in creamy cheese sauce!
I don’t think I had ever eaten an actual Philly cheese steak until I moved to CO in 2006. I was never a big meat eater and this particular sandwich seemed pretty greasy and not terribly appetizing. The vegan version though? WONDERFUL! You should make it this weekend!
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 bell peppers, any color, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 loaves homemade seitan, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning
- 2 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces Daiya cheddar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 4 soft rolls, warmed
- Water saute the onion and bell peppers over medium heat with the crushed red pepper, 8-10 minutes, until soft. Set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the oil over medium heat. When it's hot, add the seitan strips. Flip after 3-4 minutes and add the worcestershire sauce and the steak seasoning, along with a dash of salt if desired. When the seitan is about as crisp as you want it, add the peppers and onions back in just to warm them.
- Combine the Daiya and almond milk together in a small pot over low heat, stirring until smooth. Add the seitan and peppers to the warm buns, then top with the cheese sauce, about a quarter on each. Add other toppings as desired (jalapenos, diced tomatoes, whatever!). Serve immediately.