I saw this post the other day, from I Eat Grains, and it piqued my interest. There wasn’t a recipe or anything, Rachel was just sharing a meal she had, specifically mashed potatoes with quinoa mixed in.
It sounded good, but of course I had to make it my own, so I did what any self-respecting vegan would do and I added kale. Tada!
Seriously, this hardly counts as a recipe… it’s so easy!
Mashed Potatoes with Kale and Quinoa (4 Big Side Servings)
This recipe is really more of a suggestion- switch up the measurements to your liking!
- 1 bunch kale, cleaned, destemmed and chopped
- 1 t diced garlic
- pinch of sea salt
- 3-4 medium russet potatoes, peeled, cubed and boiled until tender
- 1/3 cup of your favorite non-dairy milk
- 3 T Earth Balance
- 1+ t salt (plus more to taste… possibly A LOT more if you’re anything like me!) and pepper
- 2 cups red quinoa, cooked
- Water saute the kale with the garlic and pinch of sea salt for 3-5 minutes, until tender.
- In the meantime, mash your potatoes in a large bowl, and mix in milk, EB and salt. Taste test, and add more salt if you’d like.
- Mix in the quinoa and kale, then check seasoning again.