I saw this
macaroni cauliflower n’ cheese recipe in the latest issue of Vegetarian Times and knew I had to make it. We all know I’ve been on a m-n-c kick lately (evidenced here and here), but I’ve also been trying to eat healthier and (at least mostly) stick to the Eat To Live guidelines. I know Dr. Fuhrman probably doesn’t approve of Daiya, but he’d give me some points for avoiding that starchy macaroni, right? So, this was as close to a happy compromise as I was going to get. Plus we had friends coming over for dinner, so I knew I had to make something exceptionally yummy!
Anyhoo, I veganized the recipe and also added a little extra heat. The Daiya mixed with So Delicious and a little roux is super creamy, and the breadcrumbs get all nice and crunchy on top. The original recipe didn’t call for those last few moments of broiling, but I think they’re a must! (My pictures are of the leftover portion and don’t show the lovely crust I achieved with the original dish!) I served this yummy concoction to Jason, along with our friends Jamie and Tyson who are vegan and vegetarian, respectively, and they all loved it. The original recipe says it makes 8 servings, but the 4 of us ate nearly all of it, with one serving left over. Of course, Jason eats like he’s two men…
I’ll be making this again, but next time I might try my B’nut cheese on it…
So, my gal-pal Reia has started a new blog called The Cruelty Free Review, where she will be reviewing (wait for it… wait for it…) cruelty free products, foods and recipes. She’s a vegetarian (who I think will be vegan someday soon!?!) who loves animals and I think this blog is a great idea, a fun way for us to learn about vegetarian/vegan products that we didn’t even know we were missing. So head on over there, dear readers, and show her some love 🙂
- 8 cups chopped cauliflower - Approximately 1 large head
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 2 cups vegan milk (unsweetened!)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bag Daiya cheddar shreds
- 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I like panko!)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley (optional)
- Cooking spray in a can
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Boil salted water in large pot, and add cauliflower. Boil until barely tender, about 5-7 minute. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid and set aside.
- Melt the Earth Balance in same pot over medium heat, then whisk in flour to create a roux. Stir constantly for about a minute until it's really thick and well mixed.
- Whisk in the milk, garlic and reserved cooking liquid and continue to whisk constantly until it starts to thicken, about 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to the lowest setting and stir in Daiya, nutritional yeast and chili powder. Keep stirring until the cheese is completely melted, then fold in the cauliflower.
- Coat a 13x9" baking dish with cooking spray, then spread the cauliflower/cheese mixture into the dish. Top with the breadcrumbs then sprinkle parsley. Stray top with an additional squirt of the cooking spray.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. You'll see the cheesy mixture bubbling around the edges. If the top isn't browned, move dish under the broiler and cook (on low!) for a minute or so. Keep an eye on it, you don't want to let it burn now!
- Serve immediately!