Holy crap was it cold in Colorado this weekend. Everyone was bundled up in their sweaters (and by “everyone”, I mean my dogs) and hunkered down in front of the fireplace. Well, except for on Saturday when we decided to venture out for lunch and a bit of shopping, and promptly got stuck in the traffic behind Denver’s 104 car pileup. We ended up having to do a little off-roading to get off the interstate (who needs a proper exit ramp? Not me!) and although we weren’t able to get to our intended lunch destination, we did discover a new (to us) spot: The Urban Roadhouse! Lots of vegan (or can-be-vegan-with-slight-adjustment) items on the menu (I’m thinking they deserve a spot on my Mile High Vegan Eats page), plus they had a full bar. I really needed a bar after that traffic. If you follow me on instagram you saw part of my lunch…
That was a veggie and hummus “unburger” and a quinoa salad. Healthy, delicious and satisfying. My favorite part was the quinoa… the perfect amount of seasoning that really allowed the veggies themselves to shine. Oh, and if you need another reason to follow me on Instagram, I post A LOT of pictures like this:
That was the BBQ Bacon Cheeseburger creation I made for dinner on Saturday. It was ridiculously good, and will be appearing on the blog soon. Promise!
And now, back to my Creamy Vegan Portobello Mushroom and Kale Pasta! It’s good. It’s reeaallly good! Creamy, hearty and it uses one of my very favorite spices: smoked paprika. Plus, it has kale, and I feel like combining kale with any sort of comfort food-dish is really a win.
I know spring is almost here (hopefully?), but you still have time to put on a sweater, make this dish and eat it in front of a roaring fire!
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned and sliced into thin strips
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or a bit more if you really dig that flavor)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1.5 cups veggie stock
- 1 bunch kale, washed, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cooked pasta (I love campanelle in this dish, make sure it's al dente)
- 3/4 cup vegan sour cream
- 2-3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- In large skillet, water saute the onions and garlic for 4-5 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms, tomato and paprika. Continue to cook over medium heat for another 3-4 minutes, adding an additional tablespoon of water if needed. Stir in the flour and cook/stir for one more minute.
- Pour in the stock, stirring well to make sure there are no flour clumps. Add the kale and the bayleaf, and let simmer uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the cooked pasta and sour cream. If it's too dry, add a bit of the non-dairy milk. Oh, and make sure you pull out that pesky bay leaf!