What on earth is Vegan Nacho French Bread, you might be asking yourself right now… Well let me tell you! It’s all the delicious toppings you’d put on nachos, except they’re on the carbolicious goodness that is toasty warm french bread. So, sort of like nachos and french bread pizza had a baby, I guess.
I read Off The Menu on Thrillist every week (if you’ve ever worked in a restaurant, you’d probably enjoy it too), and one day this popped up in their sidebar. Theirs isn’t vegan of course, but I knew it would be easy (and tasty) to veganize. And, as always, I was right.
Any toppings would work. I kept it pretty traditional with seitan crumbles cooked in taco seasoning, refried beans, tomatoes, onions, black olives, cheese and avocado. It does have one super secret special ingredient that really makes it work though… cream cheese! You can see a bit of it there, under the bean layer. It really added a surprise sweet layer.
Okay, so no… this isn’t the healthiest meal, but damn was it delicious!
- 1/2 loaf French bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 loaf chicken-style seitan
- ~1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ~4 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1/2 onion, diced
- Sliced black olives
- Shredded vegan cheese (I used Daiya cheddar)
- Hot sauce
- Any other nacho-type toppings you'd like- guacamole, sour cream, salsa, green onions
- Preheat oven to 375. Place the bread, cut sides up, on a cookie sheet.
- Crumble the seitan in a food processor. Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the seitan and taco seasoning and cook till lightly browned and a tiny bit crisp, 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Top the bread with cream cheese, spread evenly across the two pieces. Microwave the refried beans (in a bowl, not the can!), and add them on top of the cream cheese.
- Add the rest of your toppings, finishing with the cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Feel free to stick it under the broiler for 30 seconds to a minute if needed.
- Top with any greens or hot sauce, cut, and serve hot!
- This makes 4 fairly normal-sized servings, but depending on how many additional toppings you add, it could stretch farther!