Awww yeah, I went there. I made meatloaf into cupcakes! Vegan Meatloaf Cupcakes with Cheesy Mashed Potato Frosting, that is.
I started with the E2 meatloaf recipe, and combined it with the seasoning and such I used in the Italian meatloaf I made back before I was
super amazingly awesome vegan. This means they’re full of italian seasoning as well as chopped onions and bell peppers. And since I started with the E2 recipe, they’re super healthy and low fat.
Oh yah… and they have ketchup on top.
As far as the frosting, I just prepared the potatoes as if I were planning to serve them as I would normally served mashed potatoes (with lots of Daiya cheeeese!). This was an easy, healthy and fun dinner, because yes, I am still a kid at heart and want to eat cupcakes for dinner. Except that I’m actually an adult so I put lentils in my dinner cupcakes.
I’d say it worked out just perfectly!
Oh, and about those vegan super powers I mentioned? Remember that time I fell down the stairs and busted my foot? On my first visit to the podiatrist I was told that, for this type of injury, I was looking at a 6-8 weeks in the air cast. And that was the best case scenario!
Well, I went in last week for my 4-week follow up, and they took another set of x-rays. Not only is the fracture filling in nicely, but they said I’m ready to start transitioning out of the walking boot. YES! After only 4 weeks! Take that, everyone who has ever said vegans don’t get enough calcium/protein/vitamins/whatever!
For this week I need to wear the boot 50% of the time, then I can ditch it. Yay! Now lets just hope I’ll be able to hit the slopes before all the snow is gone.
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (but not quite diced!)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped (but not quite diced!)
- 2 stalks celery, sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced across
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 14oz container firm tofu, drained but not pressed
- 2.5 cups cooked lentils (I used a mix of green and red, but brown would work great as well)
- 1 1/4 cups instant oats
- 2 tablespoons beer mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- Couple shakes crushed red pepper flakes
- Ketchup for topping
- ~5 cups warm mashed potatoes made with non-dairy milk, butter and cheese (this will give you enough for 4 tablespoons on each cupcake)
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray two muffin sheets (you'll need 18-20, total) with non-stick spray.
- Mash the tofu in in a large mixing bowl, then stir in all the other ingredients. Make sure everything is really well combined, then spoon the mixture into your muffin tins. Spoon a small amount of ketchup over the top, then bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Top with the mashed potato "frosting" and serve immediately. Enjoy!