Where the heck have I been? Well, as I shared last month, I got a new job (which I loooove) and have really been focused on getting up to speed as quickly as possible.
As I approach the 8-month mark in my 40 Before 40, I want to pause for a moment to see where I’m at.
1. Take an international trip alone. Yes I realize that Puerto Rico is a US territory but it has it’s own government and the people there really seem to consider themselves separate from the US (at least the locals I talked to did), so I’m going to count that trip as international. Also, if you’re planning a visit to San Juan yourself, get ready to enjoy lots of delicious vegan food! Pass!
7. Foster at least 10 animals. Done! I currently have three psycho little kittens living with me- Fudge, Midge and Gidget. They’re not as cuddly as my last batch (or any batch, really), but they’re very cute and fun to play with. These 3 brought my annual total to 10, although I plan to keep fostering of course!
8. Learn to install my own lighting fixtures. I added this beauty over my dining table! Yes, my mom helped, but I was totally the boss 🙂
12. Create a list of all the books I’ve read (as an adult). Holy hell this has been a lot of brain work, and I’m sure I’ve missed some, but I’ve gone back in time as much as possible to add books I’ve read to my list on Goodreads.
15. Learn to crochet. Denise, my mentor and partner in crime, was kind enough to give me crochet lessons, and I’ve been practicing by making myself a lovely collection of dish towels. We’re planning to make matching granny square shawl’s together too! 🙂
30. Try to have a more positive outlook on Sundays and Mondays. This one was a practice of setting my mind to it, I think. I really didn’t like getting that sick feeling on Sunday afternoons, knowing the weekend was almost over and that I had to go back to a job that made me miserable. Obviously getting this new job helped, but even before that I feel like I had successfully found a way to feel better on Sundays and Mondays. I just kept reminding myself that I wanted to enjoy and live every day, and not just live for the weekends — and it worked!
40. Find a new job that I love (FKA “TBD”). You guys, this was my secret list item all along! But the thing about blogging is that, even though you want to spill your guts all over the internet, people in your real life might be reading it too, so it didn’t seem smart to be all “Hey internet! I’m looking for a new job!”. But I was looking, and I did find a great job that is truly an amazing fit for me. I love (and am great at) the work, and the people I work with are all supportive and funny and interesting. I didn’t realize just how much my old job was dragging me down, until I was out of there.
What have you all been up to??