This Vegan Spicy Chipotle Chick’n is made with soy curls, and is delicious! And so versatile! Because it’s basically just really flavorful, spicy shredded chick’n, you can use it in whatever you want. I made tacos, but it would also be faboo in quesadillas, maybe even on a pizza if you’re feeling brave.
The soy curls are way spicy and smoky from the chipotle peppers in adobo, yet a little bit sweet from the orange juice and zest. I added a ton of cilantro because I love it, but if it’s not your jam you could easily skip it. It’s not pictured, but I also added a whole mess of vegan sour cream to the tacos
I also find it interesting that I chose corn tortillas. I used to HATE corn tortillas. No matter what kind of dish I was ordering when we went out for Mexican I’d always request it be made in flour tortillas. And I never, ever bought them to cook with at home. But then something changed. Not sure what… probably I just looked at the calorie count on those damn flour ones, haha!
Man, look at tall those peppers!
This was a veganization of something I saw on Pinterest, which is kind of a hobby of mine. The original ended up a bit creamier, which I was going to go for, but decided against. Why? Because I really just wanted flavorful shreds! Maybe I’ll make another, creamier version someday soon though… Try these first and let me know what you think!
Do you know what the hardest part about being a food blogger is?
You might guess it’s the pressure of “having” to cook so many different dishes, or the photography, or the editing of so many pictures, or the needing to keep to a publishing schedule. But you’d be wrong. It’s none of those things!
It’s having SO MANY recipe ideas that I want to create and share with you guys, and not enough time to do it! If I were to make all the crazy delicious food I want to, I’d have to quit my job, and then post like 27 times a day. Seriously. I’d be broke, fat, and you’d all be sick of me.
That said, I do fantasize about taking a two week stay-cation and spending it in my kitchen, whipping up dish after dish… Is that a weird thing to fantasize about?
- 4 oz dry soy curls
- Non-stick spray or oil of choice
- 5 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce) plus 1-2 teaspoons of their sauce
- 2 gloves garlic
- Zest and juice of 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Put the soy curls in warm water to soak for at least 10 minutes. Squeeze dry and set aside.
- Chop the peppers and mince the garlic. Using non-stick spray or oil, saute them for 2-3 minutes. Add the adobo sauce and orange juice and zest and bring to a simmer, uncovered.
- The liquid will cook away, and that's alright. Those soy curls will soak up so much of it! Keep everything in the pan for about 10 minutes, then stir in the cilantro and serve!