Man Dip is pretty well known across the interwebs. Although each recipe might be a little different, they’re all basically the same: Cream cheese, sausage, and some type of Ro-Tel. This Vegan Man Dip is also similar… except (duh) vegan. And it has fresh herbs.
The name of the recipe is of course tongue-in-cheek. There was a time when before I was vegan, and I definitely had a conscience. I just thought it was a catchy title, haha.
I made this last weekend when my friend Reia came over to day drink with me. The key to successful day drinking is threefold.
- Have snacks
- Have someone to pick you up afterward
- Have a soft place to take a nap
We definitely nailed #1 with this dip! It’s spicy and creamy and perfect with a hearty corn chip. It would also be good with veggies if you’re feeling dedicated.
I hadn’t spotted any vegan sausage at the store that morning, so I got a little smart. I ran a loaf of my Chick’n Seitan (which is all kinds of delicious, if you haven’t tried it) through the food processor, then browned it up on the stove with a little oil and some sausage-y spices. Worked like a charm!
Besides just using vegan ingredients, I elevated the original with fresh toppings. Any of your favorites would work, but my hat goes off to sliced scallions and chiffonade sweet basil. I loooove sweet basil, I have a plant growing in my kitchen year round, and I’ll put it in everything I can think of. Spicy Sweet Chickpea Burgers? Yes. Gin & Tonic? Obviously.
It’s football season now, which is the ultimate excuse to day drink, and I highly recommend making this dip for your next game day gathering!
- 1 loaf Chick'n Seitan
- Olive oil
- Powdered sage, chili powder, salt & pepper to taste
- 14oz can Ro-Tel with green chiles, drained
- 8oz Tofutti vegan cream cheese
- Scallions or basil for topping
- Roughly chop the seitan then pulse in the food processor until it has the consistency of ground "crumbles". Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the crumbles and the spices- just a pinch of each- until you get the flavor you like.
- Once the crumbles are a little browned, add the ro-tel and the cream cheese. Reduce heat to low and let the cream cheese melt. Stir to combine everything. When ready to serve, top with your favorite fresh herbs!